Friday, August 24, 2012

Fall Ribbon Wreath


Fall is coming, and as I browse Pinterest I am getting more and more excited about decorating my small apartment for the season and its holidays.  I thought I'd start by trying my hand at making a ribbon wreath.  Since I didn't actually look for a tutorial, I completely made up my design, and although I'm happy with how my wreath turned out, I don't recommend you follow my method.  Instead, I recommend this step-by-step tutorial.

A beautiful wreath can cost a minimum of $20 and upwards of $100 if you buy it.  My wreath cost less than $10 to make with the following items:

- wreath form from the Dollar Tree, $1
(I used a wooden form because I didn't know what I was doing; you should use styrofoam for a ribbon wreath, and they sell those at the Dollar Tree too)
- four spools of wide ribbon,  also from the Dollar Tree - $4
(You will probably need more ribbon than this if you use the tutorial I posted - the more ribbon you have, the fuller and richer your wreath looks.  The spools at the Dollar Tree only have 3 yards of ribbon each, so look for spools that have more than that.  If you want to order online, I highly recommend JKM Ribbon - they have the best prices I have yet found on the Internet, and great selection)
- sunflower bunch from Walmart, $3
- one spool of goldish 3/4" ribbon from the Dollar Tree, $1 (I later took this off to use elsewhere; it didn't add much)
- thin wire I had on hand
(the tutorial I posted uses straight pins - trust me, don't do it my way)

Total: $9

In case you want to know, what I did was I wired loops of ribbons together and wired them onto my wreath.  It was time-consuming and poky, and while again, I'm happy with the overall result, I think it would have been much easier and less painful if I had used a styrofoam wreath form and pinned the ribbons (in bunches) onto the wreath.  I'll try it that way come Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment