Saturday, September 8, 2012

Panko Chicken


If you like crispy chicken but are trying to stay away from fried foods, this is for you!  It has my very Southern husband's stamp of approval, and that means a lot (if you know much about Southern cooking you understand this).

I got this recipe from Cook This! Not That but it's really basic so I'll share it here.  All you need is:

- chicken, whatever kind you like (Justin and I love the Foster Farms chicken breast tenders)
- egg whites (2-3 per pound of chicken)
- salt and pepper to taste
- panko bread crumbs (1 1/2-2 cups per pound of chicken)

What is panko?  Basically it's bread crumbs, Japanese style.  They are crispy and crunchy.  You can find them at your grocery store shelved either with the Asian foods or in the baking aisle (the aisle with flour and sugar; I call it the baking aisle).  This is what my box looks like, as well as what the uncooked crumbs look like:


All you have to do is:

Step 1.  Salt and pepper the chicken to taste

Step 2.  Dip the chicken in the egg whites

Step 3.  Salt and pepper the panko crumbs

Step 4.  Coat the chicken in the panko crumbs.  When I make breaded anything, I put the crumbs in a freezer bag, then add the meat, seal the bag, and shake.  Like so:


Step 5.  Place the breaded chicken on a baking sheet and bake at 450 for 10-12 minutes or until the panko crumbs are golden-brown and the chicken is no longer pink in the middle.



 Yum!  Eat it with your favorite sauce.  Cook This! Not That has a recipe for chipotle-honey sauce, but I prefer honey-mustard and Justin likes barbecue sauce (and we highly recommend Sweet Baby Ray's).

I'll post the nutrition facts later; I need to consult my recipe book because I don't think the numbers on the Cook This website are correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment