So, the key factor here is that I had virtually no idea how you're supposed to make a burlap wreath. I don't know if I did mine the "right" way or not, but I like how it turned out so I guess that's all that matters.
Here is what I started with:
I should start writing the cost of each item and taking a picture of that because I can't remember exactly how much these were. I know the burlap was the more expensive item, $5 or $6, and I think the wreath frame was under $3. I got both in Walmart in the same aisle as flowers and wreath supplies.
To loop the burlap, I just went through every other space. I think maybe you're supposed to loop the burlap through the innermost and outermost slots to get bigger loops, but like I said, I really don't know.
Each time I looped the burlap through the slots, I adjusted the material to make it loopy.
Then I alternated which slots I went through (that is, if I went over-under-over-under on one pass, I went under-over-under-over right next to it).
Again, after pulling the burlap through, I fluffed it up.
I ended up doing three "rows" of burlap for each section of the wreath (counting the space between the cross pieces as a section).
Then I just kept going, not really sure if I was going to like the result or not (I think the loops are supposed to be bigger and fluffier than what I did), until I ended up with this:
There was only a little bit of burlap left so I tied it into a huge bow and made that the top of the wreath.
This is how mine looked up close.
Finally, I went to the Dollar Tree and bought five bunches of flowers. I love the dark centers of the daisies.
I just stuck the flowers right into the burlap. Eventually I will probably hot glue them to make them more permanent.
I think it's pretty good for not knowing what I was doing! I'll leave it up until it's time to change to fall decor . . . such a bittersweet thought. Summer has gone by way too fast!