I love soup. I love baked potatoes. So it's no surprise that I really love loaded baked potato soup. It's really easy to make and doesn't take very long. The recipe below is adapted from The Pampered Chef - they want you to make it all in the microwave, and you can do that, but know that it won't save you any time. I made mine on the stove because I don't actually have a big enough dish that's microwave safe! (the one thing I don't like about melamine).
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 3 large baking potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 cups milk (more if you boil potatoes in milk)*
- 4 oz cream cheese*
- 2 Tbsp butter*
- 4 oz cheddar cheese, shredded*
- green onions, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- additional cheese
- bacon, crumbled*
- sour cream*
- whatever else you put on a baked potato!
*To make this recipe low-fat, use fat-free milk, nonfat or reduced fat cream cheese, and a low-fat spread with no trans fat (if it says "partially hydrogenated" in the ingredients, throw it away!). Also either eliminate sour cream and bacon, or use turkey bacon and low-fat or nonfat sour cream. And if you can find it, Weight Watchers has reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese (or maybe it's a Mexican blend; I can't remember).
1. Boil and mash potatoes (takes about 20 minutes).
2. While potatoes are cooking, whisk cream cheese until smooth, then slowly add 3 cups milk and continue to whisk until smooth.
3. Once you've mashed your potatoes, add milk mixture and butter and heat, stirring until smooth (it will be very thin, but don't worry).
4. Add shredded cheese and stir until melted.
5. Serve with whatever toppings you want!
Note that you can add salt and pepper to the whole pot, but I never do - just like with my turkey chili, I know that no matter how much salt or pepper is already in the recipe, my husband and I always add more. Plus, when it comes to salt, you get the most bang for your buck when you add it right at the end. So try making this recipe without any salt and you'll find out that you really don't need very much (if any - I didn't add salt to my last bowl and I didn't miss it).