Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Day 17: The Long Haul

Today's Distance: 490 miles
Total Distance: 5717 miles
Today's Destinations: Savannah, GA; Wilmington, NC

Continuing my trend of waiting until morning to post my blogs, apparently.

Justin didn't get much sleep the night before last, so I promised to do most of the driving to North Carolina (approximately 8 hours).  Now, one thing you need to know about me is that I have never driven more than about 3 hours a time (my previous record, also set on this trip, was 5 or 6 hours, but that was with a break in the middle during which Justin drove).  The other thing you need to know about me is that when I was a teenager, I was tested for narcolepsy.  When I sit still for a long period of time, I start to get REALLY sleepy.  If you've ever seen me in any of the environments in which one normally sits, that should explain all my behaviors.

So this was a pretty big challenge for me.  I pretty much drove for an hour or two and then stopped for a break.  At the first stop I got a gas station cappuccino, and since I don't like coffee I got it in white chocolate and put a lot of Coffee Mate in it.  It may not surprise you to learn that this had basically no effect in waking me up.  So after another hour or so I just pulled over and took a 10-minute catnap, then got out of the car and walked around and stretched a bit. That helped a lot, as did thinking about my school classes and some Nutcracker choreography.

The intent, of course, was for Justin to sleep while I drove, but he doesn't really sleep in cars so it's hard to say whether this was successful.  I maintain that he did fall asleep during the first hour, but he doesn't think he did.

We always planned on going to/through Savannah because we'd heard it was really pretty, but since we had a lot of driving to do, all we had time for was to stop for lunch.  So we didn't really get to see much of Savannah itself except as we were driving.  This giant bridge outside Charleston is pretty cool though.


We ended up making two more stops with me driving, but one of them was just because we saw a billboard for TCBY.  ^_^  And maybe that yogurt has magical properties, because after eating it, Justin was awake enough to read to me, finishing Agatha Christie's The Clocks (which I had read before but he hadn't) and starting Elephants Can Remember by the same (neither of us has read this one before).  By this time it was 5:30 and I was starting to get really sleepy.  So Justin took over for the last hour and I took a nap!

This morning I'm hoping to look around Wilmington a little before we leave, because we have until 6:00 to get to Virginia Beach and that's only 4 1/2 hours away, and because Wilmington has some historical places to visit.  But it depends on when Justin gets up - he's still sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment